Saturday, December 5, 2009

Devils & Devotion

A Casual End Mile now exists on last.fm! If you visit the page, you can hear a demo of my newest song, "Devils & Devotion", which was recorded about three weeks ago, thanks to Rob Irish (Sooners). I played this song live on fbi's Local Fidelity program recently (am endeavouring to get a copy of this interview), but if you missed that and haven't made it to a live show in a while then it will all sound brand spanking new to you.

So I am back to my old ways of weekly gigs with shaky hands, and recording in bedrooms. Recovered from a bout of serious live-performance-anxiety nerves, and managed to have a good time playing at the Loft last Thursday as the main support for the Small Hours. The stage was lined with tiny Christmas trees, and I had so much in-house reverb thanks to sound-extraordinaire Jordy Lane, I felt like I was in a Cathedral. Perfect.
After my set I got told that I had the unrestrained intensity of an animal - "not domesticated - a wild animal." Ah, you have to love awkward compliments.

In a couple days I am running away to Melbourne for a week, to learn songs in open E, drink coffee with my dad in tiny lane way cafes, and dance drunkenly to the Animal Collective at Meredith Music Festival. You should all come and welcome me back at Oxford Arts Factory on December 16th.
x
Devils & Devotion
I fell in love
with your voice
so I called your name
in the night
But you're always different
in my dreams
You come so close
and say these things
so when I wake
I'm lost again

Lie to me
any line will do
Lie with me
Stay 'til the morning

But I see devils
at the heart of you
but I would sell my soul
to belong to you

I am devotion
in your name
come the dawn
that old refrain

Is this real?
I'm never sure

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see you live once I'm home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read that you're supporting Jamie Hutchings! He is a true old school heart throb.

    Enjoy Melbourne, and Animal Collective! We're going to both Melbs sideshows, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you should totally come say hi if you spot me! They blew my mind at Meredith, so excited to see them again!
    Also, I forgot to say your write up about Jack was excellent! I'm sure he was super happy with all those kind words. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will keep my eyes open for you :) I am DYING for the show tonight.

    I totaly missed out on seeing Jack (and yourself and Daisy) in Sydney recently. That would have been a great bill. Enjoy playing with Jamie, sigh, he's so dreamy.

    ReplyDelete