Saturday, August 8, 2009

Is it inappropriate to play 'sexual healing' in a children's book store?

Yesterday I went to the wedding of a friend I used to work with. In our days at work together, we always used to play each other new mix cds and talk about music, and boys. That is, until her engagement and talk turned to wedding plans. I don't think I was very helpful then - all I seemed to do was listen and say, "I don't know! I'm nineteen, I've really never thought about my hypothetical wedding cake/dress/music."
It all ended happily ever after, though. She walked down to "The Book of Love" by the Magnetic Fields. It was a beautiful ceremony.

The moral to this story really is that all this sparked a conversation about how certain songs become significant in life etc. I don't know what music I would play at my wedding or funeral - I've tried, but can't get anything relevant/personal/interesting/ironic enough.
I do know that the first lyric I learned was "Hey Joe! Where you going with that gun in your hand?!" Apparently I used to yell it across the fence to my Uncle Jo, who lived next door when I was little.
Despite that, I fell for sad and melencholy music a few years later. My mum says that when I was about three or four I was obsessed with brooding to Leonard Cohen, and used to demand that Ian Rilen play me 'So Long Marianne' on guitar, to which I would dance around the living room... So I guess my romantic/melencholy tendancies began before I can even remember. I blame my parents.



(Why that version is set to a really ancient 'Jack and the Beanstalk' movie is beyond me. But it's kind of amazing in it's mystery.')

2 comments:

  1. you write so beautifully maddy, I could sit here and read your writing all day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. Must be all that Leonard Cohen I listened to as a small child. At least it did something good for me!

    ReplyDelete