Thursday, October 1, 2009

home is where the floor is

If you'd rather HEAR what I've been up to...Two new demos await you here.

I have been living like a musician for the first time. And I'm exhausted.
Firstly, lots of love and thank you's to everyone who made it along to the Oxford Arts Factory show last week - it went down so well that I have been asked back! October 8th - rematch anyone? It was also really wonderful to share the night with Gideon Bensen and His Still-Unnamed-Band-of-Long-Haired-Alternative-County-Musicians, and Sooners. I enjoyed every minute of the evening.

The morning after I didn't enjoy so much, as I had to wake up at QUARTER-TO-SIX to catch my flight to Melbourne. I slept most of Friday.
Saturday morning, 9 am, saw us (myself, my producer-dad, Julian-the-engineer) arrive at Bakehouse Studios in Fitzroy.  Dad had the idea of getting some little candles to put around the space to "create an atmosphere", which was nice. The only ones availble before 9 am on a Saturday were alter candles, blessed by a Rabbi. The studio itself is hidden down a little cobblestone alley, and looks kind of like a rusty old barn from the outside. Inside, it was very plush.. and with big red curtains, wood-cabin-esque wall finnishes and my kosher candles, it looked like part of a David Lynch movie. Already, we were on the right track.

Saturday and Sunday I spent all my time in the studio, which was a relief because it was still Winter in Melbourne and it was freakin' freezing. On the first day, I played guitar for about nine hours. We lay down tracks for fourteen songs, a photographer came to take some awkward studio shots, and we ate a lot of pizza. By the end of that first day the studio was my new home - I even curled up on the floor for a while. I went back to my grandma's house that night, curled up in my dressing gown and watched 'Pretty Woman'. Rock n' roll lifestyle, alright.
Sunday was even colder, and the day for overdubbing, and conquering the vocals. I sung my heart out. It took many cups of tea.

Monday was dedicated to mixing and fixing. I naively thought this wouldn't take as long as the first few days. I realised just how wrong I was after the first track took three hours of work.
It was actually really interesting to see the benefits of being in a real studio, even though I stayed true my usual 'honest' sound, and limited editing and effects etc. Dad did a wonderful job of mediating between the my musical ideas and the amazing skills of the engineer. He was also filled with great advice, such as - "Do you want it to sound like Dylan? Well! Don't play it right then!"
On Monday night I fell asleep on the couch at 11 pm, and then got sent home... producer-dad and Julian-the-engineer stayed there mixing until 6.30 am.

And so I have returned. But not for long! Off to This Is Not Art on Saturday. If you're coming to TINA, come say hello! I'm playing on the main stage of the Sunday Fair at 12 pm!
I hope you like the new takes, very much. And I also hope to one day make them into a real record.



**Special thanks to my dad, for the endless cups of tea, singular guitar cameo, tamborine shakes, good judgement, and love.. oh and for producing my record! Even though the dad-jokes nearly killed me**.

No comments:

Post a Comment